In 2016, 2020 Plan leaders proposed to Mayor Rick Kriseman and Deputy Mayor Dr. Kanika Tomalin that the City invest in the creation of a comprehensive economic growth plan for South St. Petersburg – one that builds on but overcomes the limits of traditional redevelopment approaches, which have not measurably grown employment, income or wealth for St. Petersburg’s African American community.
The case made by Gypsy Gallardo, CEO of The 2020 Plan and Rev. Louis Murphy, Senior Pastor of Mt Zion Progressive Missionary Baptist Church and co-founder of The 2020 Plan, was this:
Despite the dozens of plans created for various areas in South St. Petersburg – where nearly 80% of the city’s black population resides – none had measurably grown employment, income or wealth for St. Petersburg’s African American residents.
The Mayor and Deputy Mayor championed the vision as a strategic action toward equitable economic growth. City Council members voted unanimously to approve a $100,000 investment in the planning process to create of a 10-year economic growth plan for South St. Petersburg.
The OneComm planning year kicked-off in late May 2018. The original vision was to identify “10 Big Ideas to transform the economy of South St. Petersburg.” By the 10th month of the planning year, community leaders had nominated 19 Big Ideas. Following deliberations among planning leaders and idea authors, the OneComm team will lead the development of 8 Big Ideas during year one of implementation while lending support to 11 of the Big Ideas. The planning project was completed on June 25, 2019.
One Community Plan Documents (Components)
- Introduction & Dedication
- WHAT Part 1 – What Was Done in the Planning Year
- WHAT Part 2 – What Will Be Done in Year One – 8 Big Ideas
- WHAT Part 3 – About The 19 Big Ideas
- WHERE – The OneComm Plan Area
- WHO Part 1 – People Who Led Planning Activities
- WHO Part 2 – Teams Who Will Lead Implementation
- WHO Part 3 – Partners Aligned in Implementation
- WHO Part 4 – Bios of Key Implementation Leaders (forthcoming)
- HOW Part 1 – 6 Key Strategies for Success
- HOW/WHEN Part 2 – Implementation in Year 1 & beyond
- HOW MUCH – Funding the Launch of the Plan
- WHY Part 1 – Community Voices (Survey Results)
- WHY Part 2 – Baseline Analysis: The Economic Status of Black St. Petersburg